August 14, 2011

Hunts Started

Well, the last few weeks have been really busy for me so I haven’t had too much time to put up any new posts. A lot of new things have happened in the last few weeks too. Me and my dad took the last scouting trip up the mountain during the third week of July for my deer tag and it turned out to be really successful compared to the other ones. We found at least 4 bucks that I would consider shooters, and a ton of bull elk; including one really big bull. Here are a few pictures of some bucks and bulls that we found:

3x3 buckbig bull 1big bull 2IMG_0066IMG_0074IMG_0080IMG_0134IMG_0139IMG_0142

After that scouting trip, we didn’t end of taking another trip till the actual hunts started. We went up the day before the antelope hunt started, and after hunting antelope for 5 days with a bow, still nothing to show for it. I believe that antelope are the toughest thing to kill with a bow if you are spot and stalk hunting. Sitting on a water hole is a different story. Their eye sight is amazing and they run if you get within 500 yards of them. So I hunted antelope for 5 days, and that was about all I could take of that so I decided to head up the mountain to scout for the deer hunt a few days before it started. After being up there those few days before, I was feeling like this could be a pretty successful hunt. I went up there looking for a huge buck that I had previously seen, but I have still yet to see him. I did find a few other good bucks though. A 30” 3x3, a 165” 4x4, and another decent 155” 4x4 and those bucks are plenty big enough for me. I was seeing those 3 different bucks pretty much every day that I was up there.PIC_0032PIC_0037PIC_0050PIC_0016

The 2 days before the hunt started, I was the only one on the mountain. But sure enough, the day before the hunt started I saw 4 different hunters hike into the same place I was in. I was kinda worried that they were going to spook all the deer off the mountain, but the hunt was good for the first few days. On the second day of the hunt a got to within 45 yards of the big 3x3 buck, went to draw back, and my arrow fell off the string. I didn’t push the nock on far enough. So the bucks saw me of course, jumped back about 20 yards and stopped again. I finally got the arrow back on, guessed the buck for 60 yards, and shot just over his back. I would have had a much better chance of making that shot, but during the antelope sometime I lost my range finder so I had to guess all of the distances. I found out that I am not very good at judging distances lol.

So after a week of antelope hunting, and a week of deer hunting, I still have nothing to show for it ha. I do have one more week left before I am leaving on my LDS Mission tho, so hopefully I can get a good buck by then. So hopefully the next post is of a big buck that I kill!

No comments:

Post a Comment